Friday, 29 May 2015

Weekly update - w/e 29th May

Tuesday 26th May - Gents A v St Ives away - Lost 3-2. Gents B had no game as St Ives don't have a B side.
Weds 27th - WCL Whites v Bickford Smith 4-1 (54 points to 53!)
Thursday 28th May - Gents A v Porthmeor - Won 3-2.
Friday 29th May - Gents Captains Shield v Porthleven (or Kevin Williams!) - Lost

Saturday, 23 May 2015

A new feature - A Weekly Results round-up. Week ending 22nd May

Sat 16th - Ladies Top Team won 4-1
Sat 16th, Sunday 17th - Gents County Pairs Group 1 - Fred Spurr and Brian Smith just failed to win the Group 1 final on the last end. Unlucky but well done boys.
Tuesday 19th - Gents A v Hayle - Won 3-2. Gents B had no game as Hayle B have withdrawn
Weds 20th - WCL Whites v Hayle - Won 3-2.
Thursday 21st - Gents A v Holman away - Won 5-0. Gents B won 4 1/2 - 1/2.
Friday 22nd - Penlee v Group 1 - Penlee won overall.
Friday 22nd - After the group 1 match Brian Smith and Louise played a County Mixed Pairs winning 30-9 against a St Ives pairing.
County mixed fours - Mark Payne, Ray Jeffrey, Nicki Ellis, Louise Williams bt. S. Beckett, V. Plummer, F. Plummer, J. Beckett (St. Ives) -an excellent result.
Kernow Cup - Nicki Ellis 25-13 P Ayott (Pz)
County Ladies pairs
Nicki Ellis and Louise Williams 23-18 A. Perry and M. Edgcumbe - a County palyers scalp!
Nicki Ellis and Louise Williams 18-25 S. Roach and B. Rowe

St. Michaels A 12-21 Helston
St. Michaels B 29-5 Redruth

Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Extraordinary General Meeting Monday 25th May 6pm - Updated 25th May (IN RED) - The Result

The Executive have called an EGM for Monday 25th May at 6pm. This is concerning the extension of the clubhouse and we are looking for Members support in our proposal.


As you are all aware the club agreed to build an extension to the clubhouse in order to be able to accommodate having a greater short mat section which will include 3 mats and a larger clubhouse for more social events. We submitted applications for funding to 3 organisations. Sports England which if it had been successful would have funded the full build. SITA have awarded us with £30,000 but to access this we need to commence the build by the end of June at the latest. The 3rd funding stream was CORY who have awarded us £8,600 but with roughly the same conditions as SITA. Unfortunately we have been turned down by Sports England and so this leaves us with an approx. shortfall of £22,000 (the figure is still approx. because we are undertaking negotiations to try and reduce the overall cost of the build). We have discussed what we feel are the only options available to us and have come to the conclusion one proposal stands above anything else and therefore we will be looking for the membership to support it.

The Executive's proposal is:

Currently the club is holding approx. £20,000 in reserve (money we never touch). We the Executive propose that £15,000 be used from this reserve and the rest be provided by any member(s) willing to offer the club an interest free loan (of which a number of members have already done). The gross amount offered by the members will of course have an effect on the overall amount we take from the reserves, for example if the members offer a total of £10,000 then we may only need to access £12,000 from the reserve. This means the club and its members will be in full financial control of this project and the future of the club. Howard was able to provide forecasts of what he believes the club turnover will be in the future looking at historical as well as current information and based on the information provided we believe this is the one realistic proposal which the Executive fully supports and ask for it's members to now ratify by voting in favour.

Please make every effort to attend as this could be a pivotal point for the club in deciding the route we will take and therefore it's future. We apologise for it being the Bank Holiday Monday but due to the fixtures we believe this is the best day for the meeting.

Due to a number of requests besides the secret vote on the evening the Executive have agreed for members not available to vote prior to the evening. The voting papers will be held in a secure box until the night of the vote. If you need a ballot paper can you please notify me in writing (email accepted) before the 20th May and I will arrange for a ballot paper to be available for you in the club. You will then be able to vote and put the paper in the sealed box.
Please note that we do need on the night a quorum of members attending and so please make every effort to be there.

Firstly thank you to the members who could not be there but voted by proxy. Also many thanks to the members who took the time and made the effort to attend.

Following a short meeting with a number of questions from the floor members voted in a secret ballot. The result was 43 for - 6 against, an overwhelming majority therefore the work will now go ahead.

The club now invites members to make their offers of an interest free loan (or donation if you are so inclined). There is a box in the clubhouse and we would ask that offers are made in writing, with your name(s) and to confirm if you are happy for your identity(s) to be known. PLEASE DO NOT PUT ANY MONEY IN THIS BOX. No amount is too small. If you would prefer to actually put cash/cheque in an envelope please put it in the mail box by the first aid box. As time is short we do need these offers to be in by the end of next week as we need to have everything in place so we can start the work.